Once you are in Vietnam, you can choose between extending your visa or renewing your visa depending on your travel needs. Please find the guide below for more information about how to extend/renew your visa in Vietnam.
Visa extension/renewal requirements
- Your passport must be valid for more than 6 months from the time of extension
- Your passport has at least 2 blank pages
It is possible to extend your Vietnam visa as long as the total time of your stay is less than 6 months. For example if you apply for a 3 month tourist visa, you are able to extend it for another 3 months.
- You can extend your visa for single entry only (maximum of 3 months).
- You will get an extension stamp on your passport indicating your new stay period.
- You can extend your ongoing visa for a maximum of 02 times.
Visa renewal is good for those who wish to get a new visa without leaving Vietnam.
- You can renew your visa for both multiple/single entry
- Unlike visa extension, you will get a new page sticker on your passport as a new visa
How to apply for visa extension:
You can apply for a visa extension on your own  or apply through a local agency in Vietnam. Steps to apply are as follows:
- Prepare the renewal/extension application form NA5 (download it here) a long with your passport.
Hand in the documents above to the Immigration office below, with the fee if required
- Immigration office in Hanoi: 44-46 Tran Phu, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Da Nang: 78 Lê Lợi, Thạch Thang, Hải Châu, Đà Nẵng 550000
- Ho Chi Minh city: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh city
- Working hours: Monday-Friday (Morning: 7am – 11h30am; Afternoon: 1h30pm – 5pm) and Saturday (Morning time only)
- Wait for 5 working days for the result. Normally it takes 5-7 working days for a 1 month visa and 10 working days for a 3 month visa.
Vietnam Business Visa
Foreigners who are coming to Vietnam with the entry purposes of working, doing business, investment, the visa type of Vietnam granted on the passport as LV, LĐ1, LĐ2, DN1, DN2, ĐT1, ĐT2, ĐT3, ĐT4. Extending or renewing the visa in Vietnam must have a sponsor company in Vietnam to sign and seal all the forms of visa extension/ renewal for foreigner. The requirement should prepare the following dossiers:
- Company’s legal entity files (notarized certified copy of business registration certificate or investment registration certificate or establish Representative Office)
- Seal registration certificate and tax code registration certificate (if any);
- The original copy of passport;
- A valid Vietnam visa;
- Vietnam work permit or work permit exemption certificate (if any);
- Visa extension form must be signed and sealed by company’s legal representative
- Original copy of residential registration certificate in Vietnam certified the local police station where foreigner is staying.
- In case of that foreigners accompany with their relatives, it’s required to provide the written proof of family relationships (the documents must be legalized, translated and notarized comply with the provisions of law):
a. The relatives recognized as spouse must have a marriage certificate;
b. The relatives recognized as children must have a birth certificate.
In order to apply your Vietnam visa extension or visa renewal the staying temporary permission, please provide below necessary information to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Passport scan
- Current visa scan
- Immigration stamp
- Latest date of entry
- Your current address in Vietnam
We will inform what you have to do and how much you have to pay.
Please feel free to contact us if you need support or information!